PeterD

Gallery image manager - problem with Firefox

Hi, I've just used the Highslide editor under Internet Explorer 7 - great, all works well! For some reason, I tried it with Firefox 3.6.9 and came to a grinding halt! The button for selecting the images to use is totally inactive. All other controls on that page are active. I see the same problem with Seamonkey 2.0 and Opera 10.
Any thoughts? I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 plus current Microsoft updates.
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Re: Gallery image manager - problem with Firefox

This button uses Flash, so the most likely solution is that your Flash player is not up to date.
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
PeterD

Thor, thanks for your rapid response. I now have the Flash plugin for Firefox, and all is working well. Thanks again.
PeterD

My relief was short-lived! Although I was originally using a fairly recent version of Flash, major release 10 - don't know which minor release, I removed all references to Flash in Add/Remove programs. Then I installed the current version from the get.adobe.com website, firstly using Firefox, then IE7, from an account with administrator privileges. Switching to a limited account showed up a problem when viewing two weather-related sites. My browser would not download weather radar images, which update automatically every 10 mins, and play a loop of the most recent 4 images. The other site had a similar problem with 10 minute updates of various weather related things (temp, wind strength etc). So I then did a system restore to a couple of days previously, so as to be able to view the weather sites correctly and to use Highslide Editor with IE7. I don't really need to use Firefox.
As it happens, I had to re-install Windows a few days previously on a second PC which had a corruption of the OS. After installing Flash on this PC, my weather sites and HS-editor work perfectly, which ever type of account I used. So I assume that PC1 has something wrongly set somewhere. Odd things happen!
In fact, after I installed Opera on PC1 it would give two error messages at start-up (IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in USER.dll) I Googled for this and found a suggestion that is was caused by the presence of a dll for Vista, a suggestion borne out by a Microsoft Kb article. So following instructions, I got rid of dwmapi.dll from WINDOWS/System32 and the error message disappeared! How can one diagnose such things??? (Rhetorical question really)
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Well (rhetorical answer) you can't... Generally after searching for a system error for half an hour it is better to do a full system re-install.
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
PeterD

Problem fixed! After installing Flashplayer under an administrator account, I had to install from my limited user account using Firefox in the "Run as" mode, running then as an administrator. Most odd.
So to close this thread, I'd like to say how great your editor is, particular as regards a gallery containing many images. :D :D

Return to “Highslide Editor”