rowan.bradley

How create column chart with navigator

I would like to create a column chart with a navigator like the basic Highstock chart. So the navigator would show the full range of dates, and allow the user to move or to enlarge or reduce the selected range of dates. There would be a From and a To box to allow the user to see and change the range of dates. The column chart would be adjusted to correspond to the data for the dates from the selected period. Since the X-axis of the column chart would not be date, these would not be the same correspondence between the navigator and the main chart that there is in the basic stock chart, but it still seems a good interactive way of allowing the user to analyse the range of dates that he is interested in.

Is this possible? How?

If you think there's a better way, please explain.

Thanks - Rowan
rafalS

Re: How create column chart with navigator

Rowan,

What do you mean saying "Since the X-axis of the column chart would not be date, these would not be the same correspondence between the navigator and the main chart"?

You can find a demo of column chart here: https://www.highcharts.com/stock/demo

Kinds regards.
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead
rowan.bradley

Thanks for your reply, Rafal.

What I mean is that I will supply an array (in a JSON file, presumably) that provides for each event (i.e. for each point on the datetime axis) the datetime, and the list of people present (i.e. their names). What I want to plot is a column for each person, with the height of the column equal to the percentage of events within the time window that this person was present for. So the X axis of the column chart is people, the Y axis is percentage attendance. But I still want to use the Navigator to allow the user to select the time window to do the average calculation over. I'm not quite sure what Y values to show in the navigator. Maybe the total attendance for that date.

How would I do that?

Thanks - Rowan
rafalS

First, you need to prepare an online demo I can work on. Your chart seems complicated and I can't write it from scratch. Please come back when you have any specific question or problem with jsFiddle showing that, then I will be glad to help you ;)

Kind regards!
Rafal Sebestjanski,
Highcharts Team Lead

Return to “Highcharts Stock”