Jo*

New site up using highslide: have a look and review please

Hi all,

I have a new site up extensively using highslide.js.

Laion | pure photography

or, if you wanna skip the (very short) flash intro, click this link.

It is a site for a friend who is a brilliant photographer and who predominantly shoots german actors on film sites but also other interesting still lifes. The site is german but since there is very little text don't be afraid :) But then, the main navigation is english, so it's easy ;)

The site was meant to be as clean (as in: very little content and distraction) as possible and highslide greatly contributed to this concept. Of course the gallery concept is the main focus, but also other site regulars such as contact forms, inline html, etc. make good use of highslide. The boxes were mainly incorporated using the (marvelous) highslide editor with only very little adjustments to the config and css here and there.

Feel free to post some comments if you like.

If by chance you find any bugs or inconsistencies I'd very much appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks and best
Jo
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Re: New site up using highslide: have a look and review please

Looks great and works great!
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
Jo*

Thanks for your feedback, Torstein!

I have now discovered a weird behavior of the enlarged gallery-pictures in Internet Explorer (6 & 7).

Whilst all pictures come out perfectly sharp on all browsers on both Windows and Mac, they get slightly pixelated on IE6 and IE7.

It sort of looks like as if the jpegs where compressed down to their lowest compression. I have compressed the original jpegs only slightly (in the 75 - 90% range) and although some of them are in the 360 - 480 KB range the majority is well below 300KB.

Again, in all other browsers on both Mac and Windows the enlarged jpegs in gallery-view are immaculate. The pixelation only shows in IE6 and IE7.

Any idea as to what might be going on?

Thanks
Jo
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Two possible reasons come to my mind:

1) The images are fitted to the viewport. See http://www.highslide.com/ref/hs.allowSizeReduction.

2) See http://www.highslide.com/ref/hs.flushImgSize.
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
Jo*

Thanks for your reply, Torstein.

Indeed, the server-side image size was 900 x 600 px whilst the viewport of the hs gallery was (purposefully) 720 x 480 px. Thus people had the choice to expand single images if they wanted to.

However, in IE the images seemed to get rendered wrong due to the fact that the viewport was smaller than the server-side images.

I resized the server-side images down to 720 x 480 px and everything is fine.

Best regards
Jo

Return to “Highslide JS Usage”