jtshighslide

Residual Gallery Controls after Slideshow Activation

I have a page that includes both individual image expansions and multiple slideshow galleries. I have tried to follow the solution in the FAQ for removing the gallery controls that appear at the top of the page after any of the gallery slideshows is activated. That is, I've set up individual slideshow groups and config variables, but the spurious controls continue to appear. I'm obviously doing something wrong (or, more likely, not doing something I should); so, I need some help. Here is the link to the page in question:

http://www.usafaclasses.org/1960/Reunio ... photos.htm

Thanks.

J.T.
MisterNeutron

Re: Residual Gallery Controls after Slideshow Activation

At the moment, I don't have time to address all of the problems with your page, but as a starting point, you're setting up various gallery options both in <script> tags on your index.html page, and also in your highslide.config.js file, and I believe those options are colliding with each other. Do your setups in one place or the other, but not both!
jtshighslide

Thank you. I don't fully understand your comment, because we don't have an index.html on the site; however, I commented out the gallery-related lines in the highslide.config.js, and there is no change in the page's behavior. I understand that you are quite busy, and I greatly appreciate the time you are able to devote to my problem. I shall patiently look forward to you next suggestion.
MisterNeutron

I see you're at least closing on the solution. But your coding is still waaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Take a look at the source code on this quick demo page: http://misterneutron.com/HSmixed/

Notice that there's no highslide.config.js file being loaded at all - all of the Highslide setup is being done on the HTML page itself. You could move all of that stuff into a config file and remove it from the HTML page. But working both ways will always confuse things.

No need for "config objects," since you want pretty much the same behavior for each slideshow group.

Unrelated, but you really need to leave HTML4.01 Transitional behind - it's a relic of the late 1990's. Even the official Highslide demo pages are woefully out-of-date, using XHTML - that's also a dead dog. TIme to step up to the plate and use HTML5, and get rid of deprecated HTML tags like <center> and all those inline attributes (align, bgcolor, etc.). Styling should all be in the CSS, not in the HTML. And table layouts are pretty much a dinosaur, though there are still times when they're the easiest way to knock something out in a hurry.
jtshighslide

Thank you for your help. I will study your demo code carefully and learn from it. It should solve my immediate problem quite nicely. Once again, you've proved yourself to be a treasured resource.

Thank you also for the advice; it is good advice. I understand that this entire site is a dinosaur. It has evolved over many decades of being passed from one volunteer amateur to another, and the result is a hodgepodge of code in various styles. The current 'webmaster' and I do our best to keep it up for the benefit of our classmates and as a repository for preserving our legacy. But both of us are old codgers with a lot of motivation but marginal skill and knowledge. We rely on what we can learn off the internet which is itself a messy and constantly changing source. I will endeavor to drag both of us up to a more modern state as time and energy and meager resources permit, but the vintage adage about old dogs and new tricks is fully in play.

Regards and thanks again.
MisterNeutron

jtshighslide wrote:It has evolved over many decades of being passed from one volunteer amateur to another, and the result is a hodgepodge of code in various styles.
Been there! Inheriting something that's been kicked around from pillar to post is always a thrill. At some point it gets so bad, you've got no choice but to start over with a clean sheet of paper. :shock:

Return to “Highslide JS Usage”