CookieMonster

HighSlide & Touch Devices

Hi, I realized that Highslide doesn't work with touch devices is there a way to get this to work ?
MisterNeutron

Re: HighSlide & Touch Devices

Highslide JS should respond to taps, just as it responds to mouse clicks. But there's no support for swipe gestures - the script pre-dates the existence of such things. AFAIK, there's no easy way to modify the script for them - if your Javascript skills are very good, you could probably do some hacking to make it work (if you succeed, please post the results!).
CookieMonster

MisterNeutron wrote:Highslide JS should respond to taps, just as it responds to mouse clicks. But there's no support for swipe gestures - the script pre-dates the existence of such things. AFAIK, there's no easy way to modify the script for them - if your Javascript skills are very good, you could probably do some hacking to make it work (if you succeed, please post the results!).
I should have got back to you earlier, you said that it should respond to taps, that is not working on either an iPhone or a Windows Phone ?
RoadRash

You can tap the tumbnail to open the large images, you can tap to close the image and tap the controlbar in galleries.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
CookieMonster

RoadRash wrote:You can tap the tumbnail to open the large images, you can tap to close the image and tap the controlbar in galleries.
I don't understand, it is not working for me with mobile devices and tablets ?
RoadRash

CookieMonster wrote:
RoadRash wrote:You can tap the tumbnail to open the large images, you can tap to close the image and tap the controlbar in galleries.
I don't understand, it is not working for me with mobile devices and tablets ?
Please see this video: http://www.screencast.com/t/NnsJQj5n (the video shows an iPad)
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
jstranger

I am a little confused about what aspects of touch device support Highslide does or does not have. I have been using Highslide successfully for image galleries for years, but now need to find an elegant way of supporting tablets which obviously do not have mouseover events. I have just looked at the 'Highslide Mobile' demonstration page at http://www.highslide.com/studies/mobile.htm on my Windows 8.1 tablet (Microsoft Surface 2) and it is not clear to me what the 'mobility compatibility pack' has added. I can tap on a thumbnail on this page to view a larger image and tap again to close it, but it does not play as a gallery/slideshow and I do not see a control bar, despite the source code suggesting that it should be there. But I can't tell if this is the intended behaviour or whether Windows is not supported or this is a specific issue with my tablet. Is there any other info about the mobility pack or do I need to try to understand the code? Would be grateful if you could advise.

Jon
MisterNeutron

If I were aiming for mobile support, I would use the text controlbar rather than the graphic one - it doesn't depend on mouseover events, and presents somewhat larger targets for fat fingers. Either that, or use the graphic controlbar but set it not to fade out on mouseout (the hideOnMouseOut attribute of the overlay options).
jstranger

Good advice, but my question was more about the demonstration page - which I assume is intended to show a slideshow on mobile devices but does not do so on mine.

Jon
MisterNeutron

You can open up mobile.js and take a look at what it's doing. It's not really adding functionality for mobile devices - mostly what it's doing is removing things that work on a PC/Mac, but don't work very well on a small mobile device, like transitions. It explicitly removes the slideshow, for example, and substitutes some fixed previous/next overlays.

You should narrow its application to only small phones - as it stands now, it's triggered by things like the iPad, but a regular gallery works just fine on an iPad, and these mobile adaptations shouldn't be applied there. Line 6 of the script would be your editing target for that aspect of it.

That little script was put together over four years ago, and hasn't been touched since. The unhappy truth is that Highslide JS is, at this point, virtually "abandonware." There's been no further development since October 2011, and requests for fixes and enhancements get no response whatsoever. Continuing to collect license fees for its use strikes me as being rather unethical, to be blunt about it.
jstranger

Thanks - I tend to agree with you. Pity.

Jon
CookieMonster

I've tested highslide on a iPhone 5 and Windows Phone in both cases touching or tapping whatever you prefer to call it, to trigger to enlarge and image doesn't work on either smart phones, anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to work especially if it works for you ?

Highslide may be abadonware but I like how it works and I assume many who continue to use it like how it works as well, I wasn't able to find anything equivalent to it I decided to continue to use it, works well on desktops.
MisterNeutron

Have you tried the "bare bones" examples? http://highslide.com/index.htm

Touching a thumbnail is the equivalent of clicking on it, so it should work.
CookieMonster

This barebone example worked, what is different, some lines of code ?
http://highslide.com/examples/mini-galleries.html
MisterNeutron wrote:Have you tried the "bare bones" examples? http://highslide.com/index.htm

Touching a thumbnail is the equivalent of clicking on it, so it should work.
MisterNeutron

Please give us a link to your page, the one that doesn't work.

There's nothing special being done in those barebones examples, and my own pages that use Highslide JS generally work OK on small mobile devices, since "a touch is a click," which is all that Highslide JS is looking for. I'm not doing anything special to accommodate them, though the text controlbar is far preferrable to the default graphic version, since there's no "hover" on a mobile device, and small targets are hard to hit. Setting it for "click for next" also helps:

Code: Select all

hs.Expander.prototype.onImageClick = function() {
	this.slideshow.pause();
	return hs.next();
}
A quick example: http://misterneutron.com/touchDemo/

Return to “Highslide JS Usage”