It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm Advanced search

Dim screen on click

Technical support, bug reports, feature requests and more.

Dim screen on click

Postby dstebila » Wed May 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Is there a way to cause Highslide to dim the screen immediately when a thumbnail is clicked as opposed to starting to dim once the expander is fully open?
dstebila

Re: Dim screen on click

Postby torstein.honsi » Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Currently not, because that would cover the loading label so that your users weren't able to cancel the loading.
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft Solutions
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Postby nigelbb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm

How about if I don't care about allowing the user to cancel the loading?

I am trying to simulate the way lightbox/shadowbox script would do the same operation. Presumably it's just the order in which the operations are carried out so calling the browser dimming before the image expansion could be done if one were to edit the code. Any pointers as to where I should look to change this?
nigelbb

Postby torstein.honsi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am

Other reasons why it is done this way is that the dimming animation would interfere with and slow down the expand animation, and that the top priority should be to let your users see the image first.

You should be able to do the dimming before expand by moving this line from the afterExpand to the show function:
Code: Select all
if (this.dimmingOpacity) hs.dim(this);
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft Solutions
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Postby nigelbb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Torstein,

Thank you so much. I took that line out of the afterExpand function & put it in the show function & I now get exactly the effect that I was looking for. It's an almost simultaneous expansion of the image & dimming of the background plus the reverse also looks good.

BTW Many, many thanks for your wonderful Highslide script.
nigelbb

Postby EarlyOut » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm

You should, if you can, test out the change on an older, slower PC. You might find that the effect is not as smooth as you'd like.
EarlyOut

Postby nigelbb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm

EarlyOut wrote:You should, if you can, test out the change on an older, slower PC. You might find that the effect is not as smooth as you'd like.
I just did on a 6 year old 2GHz Pentium M laptop with 1GB RAM running Windows 7 & it works great & still looks very smooth. I also tested a similar aged P4 3GHz with 1GB RAM running Windows XP & it's absolutely fine.
nigelbb

Return to Highslide JS Usage