It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:41 pm Advanced search

combining highslide with facebook comments plugin

Technical support, bug reports, feature requests and more.

combining highslide with facebook comments plugin

Postby sahar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello everyone
I'm trying to combine highslide with the fb comments plugin and i'm running in a few problems..
1) sometimes the fb plugin wouldn't show (so far i think it happens when im clicking to open a gallery before page is fully loaded.)
2) The plugin seems to mess-up highslide's transitions, it do not work properly when the plugin is on, but when plugin is off the transitions works smoothly.

Something that is not really related: I saw on highslide tutorials that for each image there are 2 images used, one for a thumbnail and other is full, why is that? any benefits? because so far i used the full sized image for both thumb and full-sized img

You can see my page at : http://pet-pal.co.il/adopt.php

I think the best solution would be to load the FB plugin and hide it somewhere on the page, and just show (e.g. setting top/right to 0) when the thumb is clicked... but i don't know how to do that.
I saw something similar but i didnt manage to understand how to add it and if its really relevant to my issue: http://forum.harcerze.pl/gallery/test.html

Hope someone here can help me
Thanks
Last edited by sahar on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sahar

Re: combining highslide with facebook comments plugin

Postby EarlyOut » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm

sahar wrote:Something that is not really related: I saw on highslide tutorials that for each image there are 2 images used, one for a thumbnail and other is full, why is that? any benefits?

Page loading time. When the page loads, Highslide has to load all of the thumbnails (even if the page itself isn't displaying all of them). If those are little 10KB thumbnails, that's no problem. But if the "thumbnails" are actually all typical full-sized images, at something like 300KB apiece, page loading will be painfully slow.
EarlyOut

Postby sahar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Page loading time. When the page loads, Highslide has to load all of the thumbnails (even if the page itself isn't displaying all of them). If those are little 10KB thumbnails, that's no problem. But if the "thumbnails" are actually all typical full-sized images, at something like 300KB apiece, page loading will be painfully slow.

Thanks for the answer :)

I got another question, How do i stop the caption area from being "reloaded" after every image i move on? i mean i got a gallery, all images in that gallery got the same caption, so i dont want the caption area to be refreshed whenever going next or previous on the images, you can see that refresh thing on my page here: http://pet-pal.co.il/adopt.php

Thanks.
sahar

Postby EarlyOut » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:38 am

There's probably no way to avoid that. Each image triggers a new expander, so everything in the expander has to be reloaded, including the caption. The only way to avoid that would be to create your own div for the caption, completely independent of the Highslide expander, then have no captions at all with the expander.
EarlyOut

Postby sahar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Maybe can you give me any clues on how to do that please?
sahar

Postby sahar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 pm

There's probably gotta be a way of combining both highslide html and gallery to get this effect
eg when clicking a thumbnail an html window pop's up which is divided to 2 parts, 1 part is the image gallery, with thmbstrip and anything else
And the 2nd part is used for my static caption where i dont want the caption to refresh each time ppl change images...
sahar

Postby sahar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:14 pm

that example was a close one:
http://www.roadrash.no/hs-support/galle ... below.html
The fade is not there but it still refreshs :(

come on help me guys!! there's gotta be a way to remove this refreshing when surfing between images in the selected gallery
sahar

Postby sahar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Still looking forward to an answer regarding this...
sahar

Postby RoadRash » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 am

Sorry for the late reply; IÔÇÖve been out of office.

This is how to stop the caption from fading:
Code: Select all
hs.captionOverlay.fade = 0;

As EarlyOut explained above, you canÔÇÖt stop the caption from being reloaded for each image since the entire wrapper is new for each image.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
RoadRash

Return to Highslide JS Usage