It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:42 pm Advanced search

IE 9 problem

Technical support, bug reports, feature requests and more.

IE 9 problem

Postby tbennett3 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Please note: I posted this in High Charts forum by mistake. I apologize.

IE 9 is an issue. Earlier IE versions work with no problems, Firefox, Chrome, no problems. But IE 9 (Windows 7) does not launch the viewer. I ran the IE debugger and this is what I got:

SCRIPT5009: 'pageXOffset' is undefined
highslide-with-gallery.js, line 256 character 2
SCRIPT5009: 'pageXOffset' is undefined
highslide-with-gallery.js, line 256 character 2
and the debugger highlights this code:
hs.page = {
width: width,
height: height,
scrollLeft: hs.ieLt9 ? iebody.scrollLeft : pageXOffset,
scrollTop: hs.ieLt9 ? iebody.scrollTop : pageYOffset
}
IE9 debugger also says:
SCRIPT65535: Unexpected call to method or property access.
highslide-with-gallery.js, line 2603 character 5
and highlights this code:
style.appendChild(document.createTextNode(sel + " {" + dec + "}"))

When I switch to IE9 Compatibility View, viewer works fine. There is an article at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/ff959805.aspx that indicates some javascript changes, but I don't really understand.

Help?!
tbennett3

Re: IE 9 problem

Postby RoadRash » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi,

Do you have problems with IE 9 when viewing the examples at the Highslide frontpage and the barebones samples, or does the problem appear only in your own gallery?
The errors you are referring to usually appear in IE 9 in web pages without a proper DOCTYPE. Highslide will not work in IE 9 without a proper DOCTYPE.

(IÔÇÖve deleted your post in the Highcharts forum.)
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
RoadRash

Postby tbennett3 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks for deleting my mistake.

I have only tested my own page and DOCTYPE is clearly defined as follows:<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">.

At work (where I am currently) I do not have IE 9, but I do at home...I'll check tonight and post my results.
tbennett3

Postby RoadRash » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:50 pm

A DOCTYPE like this will put IE 9 in quirk mode (and Highslide will not work when IE 9 is in quirk mode):
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

You need to use this one instead:
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

RoadRash

Postby tbennett3 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:51 am

You are absolutely correct. Problem solved AND I learned something.

Thanks!
tbennett3

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 am

Hi There,

In IE 9 I've run into a problem that sounds very much like what the original poster of this thread described, except for the following differences:

In addition to simply not launching Highslide at all,

1. The browser simply opens the linked-to image whose thumbnail is clicked on in the same way it would if it were a regular a link.
2. The same problem occurs in the two Highslide example files that I tested (gallery-vertical-strip.html and gallery-floating-thumbs.html)
Using the suggested DOCTYPE (<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">), did not resolve the issue.
3. IE 9 spits out the following message: "internet explorer blocked this site from running scripts or using activex controls" and supplies a button that is supposed to set ie9 to not block the content, but after pressing it the results are the same. I've tried disabling all such restrictions in ie9's internet options but continue to get the same message.

Other notes:
ie8 works fine.
My testing with ie9 was with Browser Mode set to ie9 and Document Mode set to ie9 standards
I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit
I'm testing on my local server (xampp)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fbb

Postby EarlyOut » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:19 am

That sounds like a simple case of Javascript being disabled in IE9. Choose Tools, Internet Options, the Security tab, the Internet zone, Custom Level, scroll down to the Scripting section, and under Active Scripting, choose Enable. Do the same for the Local Intranet zone.

If that doesn't do it, there's probably some other setting that's loused up. Go back to that Custom Level page, and just choose "Medium-high (default)," and hit Reset, to get back to normal settings.
EarlyOut

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 am

Thanks for the reply EarlyOut,

That is what it sounds like but ie was already set in the manner you suggested, and I still keep getting that message. I've tried dropping my security levels to the lowest possible for both zones, but get the same result, even after restarting ie.
fbb

Postby EarlyOut » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:55 am

Well, there are thousands of people using Highslide JS with IE9 (actually, probably hundreds of thousands), so the problem is clearly with your copy. Nuke the sucker. Choose Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset.
EarlyOut

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:58 am

I've just tried uploading the Highslide download package to my host to test it there, and I get the same results - ff works but ie9 does not

Here's a link to one of the example files as hosted on my site if you want to try it yourself: http://fbbportfolio.com/highslide-4.1.1 ... llery3.jpg
fbb

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:59 am

EarlyOut wrote:Well, there are thousands of people using Highslide JS with IE9 (actually, probably hundreds of thousands), so the problem is clearly with your copy. Nuke the sucker. Choose Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Reset.

Well, that's certainly better news than the alternative:)
fbb

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 am

I posted the wrong link. Here's the right one:

http://fbbportfolio.com/highslide-4.1.1 ... ption.html
fbb

Postby EarlyOut » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:07 am

Works fine in IE9 on my machine.
EarlyOut

Postby fbb » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:42 am

Hmm, alright - Thanks for the help EarlyOut.
fbb

Postby RoadRash » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 am

@ fbb

This message: "internet explorer blocked this site from running scripts or using activex controls" is normal when you run Highslide directly from a directory on your file system ÔÇô see this FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4405
If clicking the ÔÇ£not block contentÔÇØ button doesnÔÇÖt work, and if the online barebones samples and the examples at the Highslide front page doesnÔÇÖt work in your IE 9, you should check if you have DivX plus web player plugin installed in IE9. This plugin will cause several JavaScripts to fail in IE9, included Highslide, so you need to disable this plugin. We are trying to create a fix to bypass the errors this plugin creates, but haven't succeeded yet.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

RoadRash

Next

Return to Highslide JS Usage