David01

Problems with IE9

I'm using Highslide JS Version: 4.1.9 and I've just installed Internet Explorer 9 on my laptop and have come across a couple of problems:
  • Highslide Editor - When I try to access Highslide Editor I get to the page ok but the Welcome to the Highslide Editor with the Get started! button is completely dimmed out and unusable.

No zoomin cursor - When I move my cursor over a Highslide thumbnail on my web page I get a pointing finger cursor instead of the zoomin cursor, the zoomout cursor displays as normal when over the enlarged image. The zoomin cursor has shown ok previously in IE7 and IE8 and shows ok in most other browsers I use.
The answer is probably staring me in the face but I'm darned if I can see it.

...any help most appreciated.
RoadRash

Re: Problems with IE9

Hi,

The Highslide Editor is unfortunately unavailable in IE9 right now, but it is available in all other browsers.

You should try to download the latest version and see if this will fix the cursor issue.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

Overview of my Highslide sample pages: RoadRash.no
David01

I upgraded to the latest version as you recommended and yes that fixed the zoomin cursor issue - thank you.

Also further checking IE9 I found that both Higslide Editor and the zoomin cursor work fine when IE9 is set to 'compatible view'.

I'd just like to add too that with over 30 years in the computer industry Highslide JS is one of the best software products I've used with the best of fast and friendly support - so thank you Hilde and a big thank you to Torstein for an outstanding product.

David
sevenalive

Using 4.1.12 with IE9, document is set to IE9 mode. Highslide does not pop up, it works fine in compat mode.
torstein.honsi
Site Admin

Thanks so much David! The Editor is also up and running for IE9 now.

@sevenalive:
Can we see a live demo of your problem?
Torstein Hønsi
CTO, Founder
Highsoft
EarlyOut

Just my observation, having wrestled with various IE9 problems recently: it is not necessary to invoke Compatibility View for Highslide JS to operate properly in IE9. There must be something else going on with sevenalive's page.

What I have discovered, however, is that IE9 is very stubborn about using the cached version of a page. There are times when I have found it necessary to empty the temporary files (F12, Cache, Clear browser cache...), close IE9, and reopen it to force it to use the latest version of the page. In short, when testing IE9, don't be too quick to assume that something isn't working! :shock:
sevenalive

http://sevenupdate.com/screenshots

I already cleared the cache a few times. Chrome is fine and IE compat mode works.

Seems it has an issue with:

Code: Select all

// HACK : override appendChild, replaceChild, insertBefore for IE, since it doesn't support DOM events
	if (isInternetExplorer)
	{
		var appendChildOriginal = doc.body.appendChild;
		doc.body.appendChild = function(element)
		{
			appendChildOriginal(element);
			var tag = element.tagName.toLowerCase();

if ("video" == tag)
			{
				ProcessVideoElement(element);
			}
		}
RoadRash

Your gallery works in IE9 without using compatibility view ÔÇô see screenshot video: http://screencast.com/t/mk86cp5gxCWC
The code you posted isnÔÇÖt part of any highslide js file?
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

seawater

I have my highslide gallery up an running on http://www.seawater.no. In Firefox, Opera, Safari and previous versions of IE everythings seems to work fine. In IE9 the background will not dim when the slideshow is running. Any idea why?
RoadRash

Hi,

Upgrading to the latest version will fix the dimming issue in IE9.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

wspollack

I installed the new version (4.1.12) of Highslide earlier today, having noticed the upgrade. I had been running 4.0.9. After doing so, I decided to check things out in the usual assortment of browsers.

My site is http://www.billanddot.com/ , it is hosted by Bluehost.com, and I am doing this testing on a PC running Windows Vista (with all patches).

In my default browser, Firefox 6.0, everything works as intended. This is also the case in Chrome 13.0.782.112 and Safari for Windows 5.1.

In Opera 11.50, the magnification, dimming, and navigation box work as intended, but the cursor is a normal "link" cursor, instead of the circle-with-cross-hairs cursor.

In Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421, moving the cursor over a picture results in, like Opera, a link cursor, and (unlike Opera) clicking on it results in a new page being displayed, with only that graphic. However, changing ONLY the Browser Mode (F12) to "Internet Explorer 9 Compatibility View" results in:

1) The page's being reloaded.
2) The cursor, when over a picture, changing to the proper cross-hairs cursor.
3) The given picture, when clicked on, loading properly, i.e., being enlarged and on the same page.

By the way, before messing with Browser Mode, I did the suggested clearing of the browser's cache and restarting IE, and it had absolutely no effect. So, for me, the Compatibility View change is sufficient to make Highslide (Full) work as intended in IE9 (and so I added wording just now, to note that condition, right before the pictures - ugly!). I don't think I have any unusual security or privacy settings in my IE9, but I'm certainly no expert in this area. I don't even know what DivX is, and I didn't even know about IE9's Browser Mode (or that F12 gets you there); hey, I just use it to check out whether my site looks okay in it.

Comments?

Regards,

Bill P.
EarlyOut

@wspollack: Your page is being thrown into quirks mode because of the DOCTYPE declaration. I believe that if you change it to the proper form, your page will display properly in IE9 without having to invoke the dreaded "compatability view."

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
wspollack

EarlyOut,

Right you are. I just changed the first line from...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
...to...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
...and it now works fine - completely as intended - in IE9, with the no change to Browser Mode. Additionally, I also ran the W3C validator and it didn't complain about the doctype you suggested vs. the rest of the code on my page (or the one I had used before, as I check my html and css with W3C's checkers).

I wonder whether this is the cause of other people's IE9 problems? There are a few threads along these lines.

That's two questions I've asked on this board, in 01/2011 and now in 08/2011, and you've answered both of them for me! Thanks again, EarlyOut, and I'll try not to post a third question for another seven months.

Thanks,

Bill P.

(PS: Opera still has the "wrong" cursor, but that's probably Opera's fault.)
RoadRash

wspollack wrote:(PS: Opera still has the "wrong" cursor, but that's probably Opera's fault.)
Yes, this is an Opera issue, not a Highslide issue.
Hilde
Highslide Support Team

EarlyOut

wspollack wrote:That's two questions I've asked on this board, in 01/2011 and now in 08/2011, and you've answered both of them for me! Thanks again, EarlyOut, and I'll try not to post a third question for another seven months.
You're welcome! With that kind of batting average, maybe I should now start trying to sell you stock tips. ;)

Return to “Highslide JS Usage”